Saturday, September 3, 2011

Stuffed Shrimp Weekend!

We've been busy this week over here in Oklahoma. In case you missed it my Slipcovered Chair was featured on Apartment Therapy in Thursday! Woo Hoo!





Also, we are so lucky and excited to have the Hubs Mom come in town! Connor loves his Mee Maw and since we live even further away now (Thank U.S. Military) it's a real treat that she came to visit.


Speaking of treats she brought is some authentic Louisiana food; something we have been deprived of up here in Oklahoma. Boudin, Red Beans, Abita Beer, and fresh Gulf Shrimp!! Heaven on Earth as far as I'm concerned.


To celebrate I tried my hand at making Stuffed Shrimp- one of my favorite dishes.





Using this recipe I found on The Advocate Food Section (the best newspaper food section EVER!) I went to work. Since I got this recipe a long time ago it's no longer on the site so here's the low down if you want to try this yourself:


Baked Stuffed Shrimp


(Makes 25 to 30 Shrimp)
25-30 Shrimp
3/4 stick butter or margarine
6 ribs of celery, chopped
1 large onion chopped
3 bay leaves
1 bunch of green onions chopped
About 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
About 3/4 medium sized French bread loaf
1 lb. crabmeat (lump or claw) 
Salt, Pepper, cayenne pepper to taste (I just used Tony's)
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs


(I further minced my celery, onion, green onion, parsley, and crab meat in a chopper to make it fine so it would stick together easily)



(Crabmeat)


1. Peel raw shrimp, leaving tail section on shrimp. Devein and butterfly shrimp. Refrigerate until dressing is prepared. (I totally forgot to leave the tails on- oops. It still worked out fine though.)






2. In a medium skillet saute celery, onions and bay leaves in butter or margarine until tender. Add green onions and parsley. Saute until tender. Remove bay leaves.


3. Poke holes in French Bread. Wet bread under cold water then squeeze out most of the water. Break bread into small pieces with hands and place in a mixing bowl. Add celery, onions, and parsley mixture to bread. Add crabmeat, salt, and pepper.






4. Take a handful of dressing and wrap around peeled shrimp, leaving tail exposed. Roll or sprinkle seasoned bread crumbs over stuffing. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet.





5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through.




Yum! These turned out really good- and since they're baked not fried they are pretty good for you. 

Do you have favorite dishes from your childhood that you crave sometimes? I sure do!!!





1 comments:

Mally said...

This looks so good. I'll have to try this. It looks pretty easy and yummy.